Sunday 20 January 2008

Allestree Park 19/01/2008

Just after 12 noon a female Eurasian Sparrowhawk flew over our house and landed on a TV ariel opposite allowing for good views. Its the first time I have seen a Sparrowhawk around our area.

After we had lunch me and my dad went to a local park which normally has wintering flock of Mandarin Ducks but after 2 attempts already this year I hadn't got my hopes up. We first went to the small lake first and after scanning all the very active Tufted Ducks and under every bush I was beginning to think that I wasn't going to see them. We started to continue our walk around the lake when I noticed a female Aix species. I knew that there was an escaped female Wood Duck on the lakes but had never seen it so I got my scope ready to look at it and she swam under the furthest away bush. I could still see her but not clear enough to Id her to a species. Then some body started to feed the Mallards and Canada Geese and the duck was swimming as fast as it could to get there to get some bread and out of nowhere a male Mandarin had appeared.

Wood Duck

Mandarin Duck

No comments: